Place:


Nately Scures  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nately Scures like this:

NATELY-SCURES, a parish in Basingstoke district, Hants; on the Basingstoke canal and the Southwestern railway, 4 miles E by N of Basingstoke, and midway between Winchfield and Basingstoke r. stations. Post-town, Basingstoke. Acres, 1,004. Real property, £977. Pop., 271. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor was anciently known as Natan-Leaga, or formed part of a forest-tract so designated in the Saxon Chronicle; takes the latter part of its present name from the word "scora, " signifying "a shaw" or "a coppice; "and belongs to Lord Dorchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £178.* Patron, Lord Dorchester. The church is late Norman, with acircular apse, and with a very rich trefoil-headed N door; is one of the smallest churches in England, only 18 paceslong; and was recently in bad condition.

Nately Scures through time

Nately Scures is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nately Scures itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nately Scures, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1726

Date accessed: 23rd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nately Scures ".