Place:


Erewash  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Erewash like this:

ERWASH, or Erewash, a river, a canal, and a railway, on the mutual border of Derby and Notts. The river rises near Alfreton; and runs southward, about 15 miles to the Trent, near Attenborough. The canal was formed in 1777; begins at the Cromford canal, near Langley bridge; runs close by the river to the Trent, opposite the Soar; is 11¾ miles long; falls 109 feet, with 13 locks; and has a branch to Nutbrook, 4¼ miles, falling 131 feet, with 13 locks. The railway is part of the Midland system, and runs close to the river and the canal.

Erewash through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Erewash go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Erewash in Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17211

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Erewash ".