Place:


Ellingham  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ellingham like this:

ELLINGHAM, a parish in Ringwood district, Hants; on the river Avon, near the boundary with Dorset, 2½ miles N by W of Ringwood r. station. It contains Moyles Court, Rockford, -Linwood, Highwood, Linbrook, and part of Blashford; and its post town is Ringwood. Acres, 2, 545. Real property, £2, 707. ...


Pop., 306. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. A cell to St. Saviours, in Normandy, was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by William de Salaries; and given, by Henry VI., to Eton College. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £159.* Patron, Eton College. The church is ancient, but good; and contains a monument to Lady Lisle of Moyles Court, who was beheaded for harbouring rebels after the battle of Sedgemoor. Charities, £5.

Ellingham through time

Ellingham is now part of New Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how New Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ellingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ellingham, in New Forest and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1720

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ellingham ".