Place:


Preston Candover  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston Candover like this:

CANDOVER-PRESTON, a parish in Basingstoke district, Hants; on the river Itchen, 6 miles N by E of New Alresford r. station, and 10½ NE of Winchester. It has a post office under Mitcheldever station. Acres, 3,413. Real property, £2,793. Pop., 476. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. ...


Preston House is the seat of E.Rumbolt, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Nutley, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £228. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is ancient and very good; and contains a handsome monument, surmounted by a brass.

Preston Candover through time

Preston Candover is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston Candover itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston Candover, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1718

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston Candover ".