Place:


Sanquhar  Dumfries Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Sanquhar like this:

Sanquhar, parl. and royal burgh and par., Dumfriesshire, on river Nith, 26 miles NW. of Dumfries and 56 miles SE. of Glasgow by rail - par., 40,846 ac., pop. 3109; parl. burgh, pop. 1339; royal burgh, pop. 1299; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; has mfrs. of carpets, spades and shovels, and bricks. Sanquhar was made a royal burgh in 1598, and forms one of the Dumfries District of Parliamentary Burghs, which returns 1 member.

Sanquhar through time

Sanquhar is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sanquhar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sanquhar, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17177

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sanquhar ".