Place:


Burghclere  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burghclere like this:

BURGHCLERE, a village and a parish in Kingsclere district, Hants. The village stands on high ground, 5½ miles S of Newbury r. station, and 6½ N of Whitchurch; and has a post office under Newbury. A Roman station was here; but has not left any traces. The parish includes also the tything of Earlston. ...


Acres, 5,080. Real property, £5,350. Pop., 819. Houses, 164. The property is divided among a few. Two conspicuous chalk hills are here, Sidon Hill and Beacon Hill, 940 and 900 feet high; and command extensive views. Sidon Hill is within the park of Highclere, the seat of the Earl of Carnarvon; and is covered with wood. Beacon Hill is close to the park; and has on its summit an ancient camp, of irregular outline, with a very deep trench. These hills, and others in the vicinity, appear to have been the scenes of Border struggles among the ancient Britons, the Romanized Britons, and the Saxons. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Newton, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £829.* Patron, the Earl of Carnarvon. The church is a modern cruciform structure, in the early English style; and has a tower. A school has £20 from endowment; and other charities £20.

Burghclere through time

Burghclere is now part of Basingstoke and Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Basingstoke and Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burghclere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burghclere, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1717

Date accessed: 19th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burghclere ".