Place:


Lerwick  Shetland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lerwick like this:

Lerwick, seaport town, police burgh, par., and capital of the Shetland Islands, on E. coast of Mainland, on Bressay Sound - par., 5653 ac., pop. 4772; police burgh, pop. 3854; town, pop. 4045; P.O., T. O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Lerwick possesses a fine harbour, with easy access both from the N. ...


and S., and has steam communication with Kirkwall, Wick, Aberdeen, and Leith. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) On Bressay island, E. side of entrance to Lerwick, is a lighthouse 53 ft. high, with revolving light (Bressay) 105 ft. above high water and seen 16 miles. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the fisheries. New harbour works (pier, esplanade, and wharves) were opened, June 1886.

Lerwick through time

Lerwick is now part of Shetland Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shetland Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lerwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lerwick in Shetland Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17156

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lerwick ".