Place:


Lesmahagow  Lanarkshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lesmahagow like this:

Lesmahagow, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire - par., 41,299 ac., pop. 9949; vil. (also called Abbey Green), on river Nethan, 6 miles SW. of Lanark and 12 miles SE. of Hamilton, pop. 1386; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks; the parish church stands on the site of a 12th century priory; Lesmahagow is chiefly a mining parish, but large quantities of fruit are also grown.

Lesmahagow through time

Lesmahagow is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lesmahagow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lesmahagow in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17149

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lesmahagow ".