Place:


Carstairs  Lanarkshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Carstairs like this:

Carstairs, par. and vil., E. Lanarkshire -- par., 9820 ac., pop. 1955; vil., pop. 528; P.O.; the vil. is 1 mile NW. of C. Junc. Carstairs House is 1 mile SW. of C. Junc. Carstairs, anciently called Castleterres, signifying the castle or fort of the estate, is supposed to have been the Roman Coria.

Carstairs through time

Carstairs is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carstairs itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carstairs in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17118

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carstairs ".