Place:


Hawick  Roxburghshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hawick like this:

Hawick, parl. burgh, manufacturing town, and par., Roxburghshire, at confluence of the Slitrig with the Teviot, 53 miles SE. of Edinburgh, 45 NE. of Carlisle, and 336 NW. of London by rail - par., 6112 ac., pop. 11,758; parl. burgh and town (including Wilton suburb, in Wilton par.), pop. 16,184; 4 Banks, 3 newspapers. ...


Market-day, Thursday. Hawick is an ancient place; the original church of St Mary (rebuilt 1763) dated from 1214. Remains of antiquity are - the Moat Hill, an artificial earthen mound, 312 ft. in circumference and 30 ft. high, and the old peel-tower of the barons of Drumlanrig, now forming the western side of the Tower Hotel. Hawick is the chief seat of the hosiery mfr. and one of the chief seats of the woollen mfr. in Scotland; it is also the centre of an important grazing and agricultural district, and a great market of live stock and grain. There is a complete system of underground drainage, with purification works; there is an abundant water supply, brought from Allan Water and Dod Burn; new municipal buildings (1885), and hospital (1884). The Hawick (or Border) Burghs return 1 member to Parliament: they consist of Hawick, in Roxburghshire; and Selkirk and Galashiels, in Selkirkshire.

Hawick through time

Hawick is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawick, in Scottish Borders and Roxburghshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17088

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawick ".