Place:


Acle  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acle like this:

ACLE, a village and a parish in Blofield district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Bure, 4 miles N of Brundall r. station, and 11 E of Norwich. It has a post office‡ under Norwich, and was formerly a market town, end a fair is held at it on Midsummer day. The parish lies chiefly around the village, but part of it is at some distance, in the Marshes. ...


Acres, 3,209. Real property, £8,417. Pop., 926. Houses, 197. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £605.* Patron, Lord Calthorpe. The church is old. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1867. There is a national school. an Augustinian priory anciently stood at Acle-Dam.

Acle through time

Acle is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acle, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1707

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acle ".