Place:


Kilmaurs  Ayrshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kilmaurs like this:

Kilmaurs, small town and par. with ry. sta., N. Ayrshire - par., 5900 ac., pop. 3704; town, on Carmel Water, 2¼. miles NW. of Kilmarnock, pop. 1203; P.O., T.O.; has shoe and bonnet factories, and in the neighbourhood are coal and iron mines; the church dates from the early part of the 15th century; Kilmaurs was formerly a burgh of barony (1527) under the Earls of Glencairn; it was at one time noted for its cutlery.

Kilmaurs through time

Kilmaurs is now part of East Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilmaurs itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilmaurs in East Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/17043

Date accessed: 24th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilmaurs ".