In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Towie like this:
Towie, par., Aberdeenshire, on river Don, 12,150 ac., pop. 759; contains the ruins of the Castle of Towie; the church is 12½ miles SW. of Alford.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Towie has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Aberdeenshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Towie and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Towie in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Towie".