Place:


Carnwath  Lanarkshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Carnwath like this:

Carnwath, par. and vil. with ry. sta., E. Lanarksh., on C. Burn, 25 m. SW. of Edinburgh and 27 m. SE. of Glasgow -- par., 30,565 ac. (119 water), pop. 5831; vil., pop. 845; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; is rich in coal and ironstone. Carnwath has given the title of Earl to the Dalzell family since 1639. At W. end of the vil. is Carnwath House.

Carnwath through time

Carnwath is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carnwath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carnwath in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16988

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carnwath ".