Place:


Campbeltown  Argyll

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Campbeltown like this:

Campbeltown, parl. and royal burgh, par., and seaport, Kintyre, Argyllshire, 11 miles NE. of Mull of Kintyre, 83 SW. of Glasgow, 131 SW. of Edinburgh, and 384 NW. of London -- par., 44,220 ac., pop. 9755; parl. burgh, pop. 7558; royal burgh, -- pop. 5070; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Friday; was the original seat of the Dalriad Scots; has 22 distilleries; is the rendezvous of hundreds of fishing-smacks and wherries, and possesses considerable export trade in whisky, herrings, sheep, and cattle. ...


(For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The sea-loch, at the head of which it stands, forms a splendid natural harbour. On the old and new pier heads are fixed lights seen 2 miles. The burgh unites with Ayr, Irvine, Inveraray, and Oban in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Campbeltown through time

Campbeltown is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Campbeltown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Campbeltown in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16928

Date accessed: 22nd September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Campbeltown ".