Place:


Edzell  Kincardineshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Edzell like this:

Edzell (popularly Aigle), vil., Forfarshire, and par., partly also in Kincardineshire -- par., 20,068 ac., pop. 823; vil. (formerly called Slateford), on the North Esk, 5½ miles N. of Brechin, pop. 370; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; has several annual fairs; 1 mile W. is the ruin of Edzell Castle, an old seat of the Lindsays, now the property of the Earl of Dalhousie; it consists of two towers, connected by an extensive wall; the oldest is of unknown antiquity, the other dates from the 16th cent.

Edzell through time

Edzell is now part of Angus district. Click here for graphs and data of how Angus has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edzell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edzell, in Angus and Kincardineshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16901

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edzell ".