Place:


Dumbarton  Dunbartonshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Dumbarton like this:

Dumbarton, cap. of co., parl. and royal burgh, par., market town, and seaport, Dumbartonshire, at the confluence of the Leven and the Clyde, 16 miles NW. of Glasgow by rail, 63 W. of Edinburgh, and 400 NW. of London -- par., 8291 ac., pop. 10,902; parl. burgh, pop. 13,782; royal burgh, pop. 10,898; town, pop. ...


14,172; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Tuesday. Dumbarton is an ancient place; it is supposed to have been a naval station of the Romans, and subsequently the capital of the British kingdom of Strathclyde. Its principal trade formerly was the mfr. of crown glass; it is now shipbuilding, and particularly the construction of iron steamers. The harbour is commodious, and a pier constructed from the foot of the Rock gives access to the river steamers. Dumbarton Rock shoots sheer up to a height of 240 ft., and is almost insulated at high water; it is crowned by Dumbarton Castle, one of the four Scottish castles stipulated by the Treaty of Union to be garrisoned and kept in repair. The burgh unites with Kilmarnock, Renfrew, Rutherglen, and Port-Glasgow in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Dumbarton through time

Dumbarton is now part of West Dunbartonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dunbartonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dumbarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dumbarton in West Dunbartonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16890

Date accessed: 18th August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dumbarton ".