Place:


Douglas  Lanarkshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Douglas like this:

Douglas, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Lanarkshire -- par., 34,137 ac., pop. 2641; vil., on Douglas Water, 3¼ miles SW. of the sta., 10 ¾ miles SW. of Lanark, and Similes SW. of Edinburgh, pop. 1262; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Coal is mined, and limestone and sandstone are quarried. D. was formerly a place of importance, and a seat of considerable trade, but it has now fallen into decadence. ...


Of the kirk of St Bride of Douglas (13th century), only a spire and the choir remain; the latter till 1761 was the burial-place of the Douglas family. About ¾ mile NE. of the vil. is Douglas Castle, seat of the Earl of Home; adjacent are the remains of the ancient castle, the seat of the old earls of Douglas -- Scott's "Castle Dangerous." Douglas gives the title of marquis to the Duke of Hamilton, and that of baron to the Earl of Home.

Douglas through time

Douglas is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Douglas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Douglas in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16887

Date accessed: 25th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Douglas ".