Place:


Leochel Cushnie  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Leochel Cushnie like this:

Leochel-Cushnie, a parish of central Aberdeenshire, comprising the ancient parishes of Leochel and Cushnie, united temporarily in 1618, permanently in 1795. Its church stands, 1029 feet above sea-level, 6 miles SW of the post-town and station, Alford. It is bounded NW by Kildrummy, N by Alford, NE, E, and SE by Tough, S by Coull and Tarland-Migvie, and W by Towie. ...


Its utmost length, from E to W, is 7 ¼ miles; its breadth, from N to S, varies between 2 1/8 and 4¾ miles; and its area is 12, 859½ acres, of which 3 1/8 are water. The drainage is carried northward to the Don by Leochel burn (running 3 5/8i miles north-north-westward along the Tough and Alford boundaries and through the interior) and by its affluents-Rumblie Burn (flowing 2 1/8 miles east-by-southward along the Coull boundary), the Burn of Cushnie (flowing 4½ miles east-north-eastward through the interior), and Droichs Burn (tracing part of the northern boundary). The surface is hilly, sinking in the extreme N to 500 feet above sea-level, and rising thence to 1468 feet at Langgadlie Hill, 1723 at Scar Hill, and 2032 at Sochaugh or Cushnie Hill, which culminate respectively on the northern, western, and south-western boundaries. Granite is the predominant rock; and the soil of the valleys is clayey for the most part but in places a fine alluvium, of some of the hill-slopes is a fertile loam. Nearly half of the entire area is in tillage; about 1150 acres are under wood; and the rest is either pasture or moor. Cairns and stone circles were at one time numerous, and several ` eirde ' or ` Pict's houses ' have been found on Cairncoullie farm. Craigievar Castle, Cushnie House, Hallhead House, and Lynturk House are all noticed separately; and Sir William Forbes, Bart., divides most of the property w.ith 4 lesser proprietors. Ecclesiastically including the Corse or northern division of Coull, Leochel-Cushnie is in the presbytery of Alford and synod of Aberdeen; the living is worth £260. The parish church, built in 1798, contains 500 sittings. The Free church, a conjoint charge with Towie, stands 9 furlongs WSW of the parish church; on the NE verge of the parish is Lynturk U.P. church; and four public schools-Cairncoullie, Corse, Craigievar, and Cushnie-with respective accommodation for 60, 90, 140, and 96 children, had (1882) an average attendance of 40, 76, 55, and 88, and grants of £42, 7s., £70, 6s., £49, 11s. 6d., and £78, 15s. Valuation (1860) £4919, (1882) £8176, 6s. 6d. Pop. (-1801) 668, (1831) 1077, (1861) 1173, (1871) 1232, (1881) 1217.—Ord. Sur., sh. 76, 1874.

Leochel Cushnie through time

Leochel Cushnie is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leochel Cushnie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leochel Cushnie in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16836

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leochel Cushnie ".