Place:


Wigtown  Wigtownshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Wigtown like this:

Wigtown, royal burgh, seaport, par., and co. town of Wigtownshire, on W. side of Wigtown Bay, 7½ miles S. of Newton-Stewart by rail - par., 7805 ac., pop. 2198; royal burgh, pop. 1789; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. There is a new harbour, and ships of 300 tons burden can reach the quay. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Wigtown gave the title of earl (1606-1747) to the family of Fleming. The Wigtown District of parliamentary burghs (Wigtown, Whithorn, New Galloway, and Stranraer) returned 1 member until 1885.

Wigtown through time

Wigtown is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wigtown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wigtown, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16763

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wigtown ".