In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Earlston like this:
Earlston.-- (originally Ercildoune), small market town and par. with ry. sta., SW. Berwickshire -- par., 9968 ac., pop. 1767; vil., on Leader Water, 4 m. NE. of Melrose and 31 SE. of Edinburgh, pop. 1010; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Monday; has agricultural trade; has also dyeworks, and some mfrs. of tweeds, shirtings, and ginghams. A fragment of the old tower of Thomas the Rhymer of Ereildoune still stands between the town and the river; a stone built into the church wall bears the inscription that "Auld Rhymer..s race Lies in this place." The name of the town was changed to Earlston when it became the property of the Earls of Dunbar; its present superior is the Earl of Haddington.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Earlston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Scottish Borders. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Earlston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Earlston, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Earlston".