Place:


South Ronaldsay  Orkney

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described South Ronaldsay like this:

Ronaldshay, South, island and insular par., Orkney - par. (including also the islands of Burray, Hunda, Swona, and Pentland Skerries), 15,062 ac., pop. 3314; island, pop. 2557. South Ronaldshay island is the most southerly of the Orkneys with the exception of Pentland Skerries, is 7 ¾ miles in extreme length and from 1½ to 6 miles broad, and reaches an alt. of 389 ft.; at Burwick, in SW. of island, is the church of St Mary's, South Ronaldshay quoad sacra par., pop. 695.

South Ronaldsay through time

South Ronaldsay is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Ronaldsay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Ronaldsay in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16650

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Ronaldsay ".