Place:


Arbroath  Angus

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Arbroath like this:

Arbroath, or Aberbrothock (old name), par., parl. and royal burgh, and seaport, at mouth of river Brothock, Forfarshire, 17 miles NE. of Dundee and 475 from London by rail -- par., 943 ac., pop. 9493; parl. burgh, pop. 21,758; 5 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The industries are of considerable importance, consisting chiefly of sail-cloth and leather mfrs., also flax and jute spinning. ...


Chief exports -- grain, potatoes, fish, and paving-stones. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The Abbey, founded by King William the Lion in 1178, is now in ruins. From a signal tower, 50 ft. in height, with an excellent telescope, communication may be kept up with the Bell Rock lighthouse, which rises from the sea 12 miles to the SE. At St Vigeans Church, about 1 mile from the town, is an interesting sculptured stone bearing a legible Pre-historic inscription. The burgh unites with Brechin, Forfar, Montrose, and Inverbervie in returning 1 member to Parliament.

Arbroath through time

Arbroath is now part of Angus district. Click here for graphs and data of how Angus has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arbroath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arbroath in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16645

Date accessed: 26th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arbroath ".