Place:


Carnbee  Fife

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carnbee like this:

Carnbee, a hamlet and a parish in the East Neuk of Fife. The hamlet lies 3 miles NNW of Pittenweem station, and has a post office under Pittenweem. The parish, containing also the village of Arncroach, is bounded N by Cameron, NE by Dunino and Crail, E by Kilrenny, S by Anstruther-Wester, Pittenweem, and Abercrombie, SW and W by Kilconquhar. ...


Its greatest length from E to W is 51/8 miles; its breadth, from N to S, varies between 2 and 43/8 miles; and its area is 8395¾ acres. The surface has a north-westerly rise, from less than 100 feet above sea-level in the extreme S to 500 feet on Kellie Law and 600 at Cassingray-heights that command an extensive view from the Grampians to the Lammermuir Hills. The section to the N of Kellie Law is chiefly pastoral, but the section southward to the southern boundary, 1¼ mile from the Firth of Forth, is a rich expanse of cultivated land. Trap rocks prevail in the centre and the N; and carboniferous rocks, with extensive coal mines, sandstone quarries, and excellent limestone, predominate over the S. The soil, in the central and northern parts, is poor; but elsewhere is mostly a stiff fructiferous clay. Archibald Constable (1775-1824), Scott's publisher, was a native. The principal mansions, all separately noticed, are Balcaskie, Pitcorthie, and Kellie Castle; and 10 proprietors hold each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 4 of between £100 and £500, and 3 of less than £100. Carnbee is in the presbytery of St Andrews and synod of Fife, a small portion of it being included in Largoward quoad sacra parish; its living is worth £407. The parish church, erected at the hamlet in 1793, contains 500 sittings. There is also a Free church; and 2 public schools, Arncroach and Carnbee, with respective accommodation for 99 and 90 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 46 and 78, and grants of £32,1s. and £64,3s. Valuation (1881) £14,816,1s- 1d. Pop. (1801) 1083, (1841) 1043, (1861) 1157, (1871) 1088, (1881) 1058.—Ord. Sur., sh. 41,1857.

Carnbee through time

Carnbee is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carnbee itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carnbee in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16627

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carnbee ".