Place:


Mid Calder  Midlothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Mid Calder like this:

Calder, Mid, par. and vil., W. Edinburghshire, near left bank of river Almond, 2¼ miles W. of its ry. sta. and 11½ miles SW. of Edindinburgh -- par., 12,294 ac., pop. 1695; vil., pop. 657; P.O., T.O.; has rich beds of bituminous shale, from which are extracted large quantities of paraffin oil and other chemicals; 2 miles W. of ry. sta. is Calder House, the seat of Lord Torphichen, where John Knox first dispensed the sacrament of the Lord's Supper after the Reformation.

Mid Calder through time

Mid Calder is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mid Calder itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mid Calder, in West Lothian and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16607

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mid Calder ".