Place:


Prestonpans  East Lothian

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Prestonpans like this:

Prestonpans, coast town (police burgh) and par. with ry. sta., Haddingtonshire, on Firth of Forth, 8 m. E. of Edinburgh - par., 1291 ac., pop. 2573; burgh, pop. 1610; town, pop. 2265; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; was long famous for the mfr. of salt, and has now extensive works for the mfr. of bricks, tiles, and other fireclay goods, a large brewery, and a soapwork. The oyster beds off the shore are less productive than formerly. In the vicinity of the town is the battlefield where Prince Charles Edward Stuart defeated the Royalists under Sir John Cope, 21st September 1745.

Prestonpans through time

Prestonpans is now part of East Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Prestonpans itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Prestonpans in East Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16570

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Prestonpans ".