Place:


Lairg  Sutherland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lairg like this:

Lairg, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Sutherlandshire-- par., 121,358 ac., pop. 1355; vil., on river Shin, at SE. end of Loch Shin, 2 miles N. of its ry. sta., which is 9 miles N. of Bonar Bridge and 17½ W. of Golspie by rail; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; Lairg is the starting point of the chief Sutherland mail routes, and during the summer months is a great centre for sportsmen and tourists; 2000 ac. between Loch Shin and river Tirry were reclaimed during 1873-77 by the Duke of Sutherland, at a cost of £100,000.

Lairg through time

Lairg is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lairg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lairg, in Highland and Sutherland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16548

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lairg ".