Place:


Ashcombe  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashcombe like this:

ASHCOMBE, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; 3 miles E of Chudleigh, and 4½ NW of Dawlish r. station. It has a post office under Dawlish. Acres, 1,932. Real property, £1,957. Pop., 212. Houses, 41. The property is all in one estate; and about 500 acres are waste or wood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £222. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a small edifice, repaired and partly rebuilt in 1825; and has a square tower and a stained glass east window.

Ashcombe through time

Ashcombe is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashcombe, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1653

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashcombe ".