Place:


Rhynie  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Rhynie like this:

Rhynie, a parish on the western border of Aberdeenshire, in the SE containing the post-office village of Muir of Rhynie, 4 miles SSW of Gartly station and 13¾ NW of Alford. It comprises the ancient parishes of Rhynie and Essie; and is bounded N by Gartly, E by Kennethmont, SE by Clatt and Auchindoir, and W by Cabrach. ...


Its utmost length, from E to W, is 7½ miles; its breadth varies between 15/8 and 47/8 miles; and its area is 203/8 square miles or 12, 8833/5 acres, of which 4½i are water. The drainage all goes to the little Water of Bogie, which flows 63/8 miles north-north-eastward along all the south-eastern and eastern boundary. Where it quits the parish, the surface declines to 524 feet above sea-level; and thence it rises to 1500 feet at the Hill of Noth, 1851 at the Tap o' Noth, 1059 at Quarry Hill, 1398 at Clayshot Hill, and 1669 at the Mound of Haddoch, just within Cabrach parish. The rocks include granite,sandstone, greenstone, and syenite; and the soil is a loamy clay along the valley of the Bogie, clay and gravel towards the Tap o' Noth, and loamy or mossy over most of the western division. Antiquities, other than Lesmore Castle, are cairns, tumuli, several standing-stones (four of them sculptured, and very good of their kind), and remains of a large vitrified fort on the Tap o' Noth, with walls more than 10 feet thick. The Duke of Richmond and Gordon is almost sole proprietor. Rhynie is in the presbytery of Strathbogie and the synod of Moray; the living is worth £205. The parish church, a Free church, and a Congregational chapel, all stand at Muir of Rhynie; and Lesmore public, Rhynie public, and Duff's girls' schools, with respective accommodation for 58, 240, and 42 children, had (1884) an average attendance of 40, 136, and 39, and grants of £32, £113, 5s., and £42, 8s. Valuation (1860) £3311, (1885) £4728, 18s. 9d., plus £17 for railway. Pop. (1801) 676, (1831) 1018, (1861) 1061, (1871) 1195, (1881) 1126.—Ord. Sur., shs. 76, 86, 75, 85, 1874-76.

Rhynie through time

Rhynie is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rhynie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhynie in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16495

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rhynie ".