Place:


East Allington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Allington like this:

ALLINGTON (East), a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon; 4¾ miles NW of Start bay, and 8 SSW of Totnes r. station. Post Town, Blackawton under Totnes. Acres, 3,646. Real property, with Blackawton, £11,644. Pop., 521. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Slapton harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £510.* Patron, W. B. Fortescue, Esq. The church has a screen, contains monuments of the Fortescue family, and is good.

East Allington through time

East Allington is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Allington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Allington, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1648

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Allington ".