Place:


Kilbirnie  Ayrshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Kilbirnie like this:

Kilbirnie, town and par. with ry. sta., N. Ayrshire - par., 10,335 ac., pop. 5243; town, on river Garnock, 3 miles NE. of Dalry and 20 SW. of Glasgow, pop. 3405; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank; has flax-spinning mills, linen-thread mills, wincey factories, fishing-net factories, rope-works, and engineering works, and in the neighbourhood are mines and ironworks. ...


In the church-yard is the monument, with effigies, of Captain Thomas Crawford of Jordanhill, who captured Dumbarton Castle in 1571. Kilbirnie Castle, with tower of 13th or 14th century, was an ancient seat of the Earls of Crawford; it was accidentally burned in 1757. On E. border of par. is Kilbirnie Loch.

Kilbirnie through time

Kilbirnie is now part of North Ayrshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Ayrshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kilbirnie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilbirnie in North Ayrshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16440

Date accessed: 21st September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kilbirnie ".