Place:


Sancreed  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sancreed like this:

SANCREED, or Sancreet, a village and a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall. The village stands on highground, under a wild upland called Sancreed Beacon, 4 miles S W by W of Penzance r. station. The parish contains also the village of Brahane; and its post town is Penzance. Acres, 4, 471. Real property, £4, 717. ...


Pop.in 1851, 1, 394; in 1861, 1, 233. Houses, 237. The decrease of pop. was caused by suspension of the works ofseveral tin mines. The property is much subdivided. Remains of an ancient castle, called Caerbran, are near Brahane; an ancient monument, consisting of two concentric walls, the outer one 55 feet in diameter, is at Bodinnar; and Druidical stones are at Drift. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £450.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is good, and contains several monuments. A very fineold cross is in the churchyard; two smaller crosses are at the gate and on the outside; and a well, formerly held insuperstitions repute, is adjacent. Two ancient chapelswere in different parts, and have left some traces. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, and a national school.

Sancreed through time

Sancreed is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sancreed itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sancreed, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1644

Date accessed: 25th September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sancreed ".