Place:


Wick  Caithness

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Wick like this:

Wick, seaport, parl. and royal burgh, par., and co. town of Caithness, on Wick Water and Wick Bay, 161½ miles NE. of Inverness by rail and 110 NW. of Aberdeen by sea - par., 47,264 ac., pop. 12,822; parl. burgh, pop. 8026; royal burgh, pop. 2954; town, pop. 8053; P.O., T.O., 6 Banks, 2 newspapers. ...


Market-day, Friday. Wick consists of three portions - Wick proper (the oldest part), Louisburgh, and Pultneytown, and is the seat of a very important and extensive fishery district. The harbour has been enlarged and greatly improved, subsequent to 1883, at a cost of about £100,000. There is regular steam communication with Aberdeen, Granton, Kirkwall, and Lerwick. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) Fishing, particularly herring fishing, is the great industry. There are rope and sail factories, a distillery, and a brewery. The royal burgh, created in 1589, was extended in 1883. The Wick Burghs (Wick, Kirkwall, Dornoch, Dingwall, Tain, and Cromarty) return 1 member to Parliament. The Castle of Old Wick, or "The Auld Man o' Wick," is situated on a headland 1½ mile SW. of the town.

Wick through time

Wick is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wick, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16358

Date accessed: 23rd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wick ".