In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cilcennin like this:
CILCENNIN, or Kilkennin, a parish in Aberayron district, Cardigan; on the river Ayron, 4¾ miles ESE of Aberayron, and 9½ miles NW of Lampeter r. station. Post town, Cilie-Aeron, under Carmarthen. Acres, 3, 405. Real property, £1, 818. Pop., 603. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. A sanguinary battle took place here between Maelgwynne and his nephews, Rhys and Owen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £25. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cilcennin has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cilcennin and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cilcennin, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cilcennin".