Place:


Hinxton  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinxton like this:

HINXTON, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands on the S border of the county, near the London and Cambridge railway, 2 miles N by W of Chesterford r. station, and 4½ W by S of Linton; and has a post office under Saffron-Walden. The parish comprises 1, 503 acres. ...


Real property, £2. 614. Pop., 396. Houses, 95. The manor belongs to E. H. G. De Freville, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150.* Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with large square tower; and has a brass of 1416, A record of the Reformation here, in 1643, says, "We brake down 23 superstitions pictures, ordered a cross to be taken off the steeple, and the Lady Hind to level the steps." There are a British school and charities £16.

Hinxton through time

Hinxton is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinxton in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1597

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinxton ".