Place:


Uldale  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Uldale like this:

ULDALE, a parish, with three hamlets, in Wigton district, Cumberland; under the Caldbeck fells, 1½ mile SSE of Ireby, and 6¾ SSE of Leegate r. station. Post town, Ireby, under Wigton. Acres, 5,500. Real property, £2,498. Pop., 294. Houses, 59. The manor belongs to Gen. Wyndham. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £151.* Patron, J. Gillbanks, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1730. There are an endowed grammar-school with £47 a year, and charities £15. A fair is held on 29 Aug.

Uldale through time

Uldale is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Uldale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Uldale, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1582

Date accessed: 26th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Uldale ".