Place:


Threlkeld  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Threlkeld like this:

THRELKELD, a chapelry in Greystoke parish, Cumberland; on the Penrith and Cockermouth railway, under Saddleback mountain, 4 miles ENE of Keswick. It has a post-office under Windermere, and a r. station with telegraph. Acres, 4710. Real property, £2,216. Pop., 1,380. Houses, 75. T. Hall was the seat of Sir L. ...


Threlkeld, in the time of Henry VII.; became the retreat of "the good Lord Clifford," in his persecuted boyhood; is now partly ruinous, partly a farmhouse; and is noticed by Wordsworth in his "Waggoner." The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £60.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale.

Threlkeld through time

Threlkeld is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Threlkeld itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Threlkeld, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1581

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Threlkeld ".