Place:


Papcastle  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Papcastle like this:

PAPCASTLE, a village and a township in Bridekirk parish, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Derwent, 1 mile N W of Cockermouth; occupies the site of the Roman station Derventium; contained the seat of the Lords of Allerdale, prior to the erection of their castle at Cockermouth; and now has good houses, a bridgeover the Derwent, and a post-office under Cockermouth. ...


Many Roman relics, including coins, urns, inscribedstones, and parts of baths and other buildings, have been found at it; and traces of the Roman station are adjacent. The township contains also the hamlet of Goat, and comprises 1, 216 acres. Real property, £4, 465. Pop., 736. Houses, 171.

Papcastle through time

Papcastle is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Papcastle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Papcastle, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1573

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Papcastle ".