Place:


Nichol Forest  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nichol Forest like this:

NICHOL-FOREST, a chapelry in Kirkandrews-upon-Esk parish, Cumberland; on Kershope burn and the river Liddel, and on the North British- railway, adjacent to Scotland, around Kershope-Foot r. station, 12 miles N E by N of Longtown. Post-town, Longtown, Cumberland. Acres, 7, 302. Real property, £4, 632. ...


Pop.in 1851, 744; in 1861, 1, 216. Houses, 141. The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of labourers employed in the forming of the railway . The surface is hilly. The streams Kershope and Liddel here form several cascades. A medicinal spring, called Hert-feel spa, rises from the bed of the Liddel. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £132. Patron, the Rector of Kirkandrews-upon-Esk. A newchurch was built in 1867, and is in the early English style. The poet Armstrong was a native.

Nichol Forest through time

Nichol Forest is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nichol Forest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nichol Forest, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1571

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nichol Forest ".