Place:


Caterham  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caterham like this:

CATERHAM, a village and a parish in Godstone district, Surrey. The village stands at the terminus of a branch of the South-eastern railway, 7 miles S by E of Croydon; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post office under Red-Hill. The branch railway deflects from the Brighton line, at Caterham Junction station, 2½ miles S of Croydon; is 4½ miles long; was opened in 1856; and has stations at Kenley and Warlingham. ...


An omnibus runs from Caterham station to Westerham. The parish comprises 2,460 acres. Real property, £2,997. Pop., 815. Houses, 146. The property is much subdivided. The Roman vicinal way, called Stane-street, went through the parish; and ancient works, indicative of warlike operations, are in it, near a place called War coppice. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £255. Patron, the Rev. J. L. Hesse. The church is mainly early English. The p. curacy of Caterham Valley is a separate charge, and was constituted in 1866. The Warehousemen and Clerks' Orphan asylum, reported to be in Caterham, but really in Beddington, was built in 1865 at a cost of about £20,000; is in the Venetian Gothic style; and has accommodation for 150 boys and girls.

Caterham through time

Caterham is now part of Tandridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tandridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caterham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caterham, in Tandridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/157

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caterham ".