In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Irthington like this:
IRTHINGTON, a village, a township, and a parish, in Brampton district, Cumberland. The village stands on the right side of the river Irthing, near the Roman wall, 2½ miles WN W of Brampton, and 4 NW by N of Milton r. station; and has a post office under Carlisle. The township comprises 947 acres. Real property, £1, 990. Pop., 224. Houses, 48. The parish contains also the townships of Newby, Laversdale, and Newtown. Acres, 6, 050. Real property, £8, 083. Pop., 977. Houses, 210. ...
The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle and W. P. Johnson, Esq. The Nook, formerly the manor house, is a farmhouse. A castle stood here in the Norman times, perhaps also in the Saxon times; but is now represented by only a mound. Many ancient coins were recently found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £260.* Patron, the Rev. W. Dacre. The church is transition Norman; was originally built all of Roman stones; was recently restored; and showed marks of fire, and other indications, which warrant the inference that it was the scene of fierce encounters in the times of the Border feuds. Charities, £21.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Irthington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carlisle. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Irthington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Irthington, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Irthington".