Place:


Hutton in the Forest  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hutton in the Forest like this:

HUTTON-IN-THE-FOREST, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies in Inglewood forest, near the river Peterill and the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 3 miles NW of Plumpton r. station, and 6 NW by N of Penrith. Real property, £1, 895. Pop., 154. Houses, 27.—The parish contains also the township of Thomas-Close. ...


Post town, Penrith. Acres, 2, 300. Real property, £2, 584. Pop., 255. Houses, 45. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Huttons; and, with Hutton Hall, belongs now to Sir Henry R. Vane, Bart. Traces lately existed of an ancient fortification called Collinson castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £130.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The interior of the church in 1866 was in disrepair. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £21.

Hutton in the Forest through time

Hutton in the Forest is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hutton in the Forest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hutton in the Forest, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1565

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hutton in the Forest ".