Place:


Drigg  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Drigg like this:

DRIGG, or Dregg, a township and a parish in Bootle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Irt, and on the Whitehaven and Furness railway, near the coast, 2 miles NW by N of Ravenglass; and has a station on the railway. The parish includes also the township of Carleton; and its post town is Ravenglass, under Whitehaven. ...


Acres, 5, 347; of which 1, 737 are water. Real property, £3, 198. Pop., 440. Houses, 83. The property is much subdivided. The land is chiefly sandy; but is noted for the produce of potatoes. Vitrified vertical tubes, from 1 to 1½ inch in diameter, down to a depth of 30 feet, supposed to be an effect of lightning, have been found in a mound of drifted sand and gravel, 40 feet high. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £88. Patron, J. O. Ryder, Esq. The church is very good; and there are charities £16.

Drigg through time

Drigg is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drigg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drigg, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1557

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Drigg ".