Place:


Distington  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Distington like this:

DISTINGTON, a village and a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The village stands near the coast, 2 miles SE of Harrington r. station, and 3½ S of Workington; and has a post office under Whitehaven. The parish comprises 2, 910 acres. Real property, £4, 434. Pop., 785. Houses, 178. ...


The property is much sub-divided. Hayes Castle, now a ruin at the southern extremity of the village, was the seat of the Moresbys. Building stone, limestone, and coal are worked; and manufactures of tools, hats, and thread are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, 301.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is very good; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Distington through time

Distington is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Distington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Distington, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1556

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Distington ".