Place:


Dalston  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dalston like this:

DALSTON, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Caldew, adjacent to the Carlisle and Maryport railway, 4½ miles SW by S of Carlisle; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Carlisle. Real property, £2, 835. ...


Pop., 884. Houses, 172. The parish contains also the townships of Buckabank, Ivegill, Hawkesdale, Cumdivock, and Raughton and Gatesgill. Acres, 10, 870. Real property, £19, 849. Pop., 2, 568. Houses, 516. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Carlisle. Rose Castle is the Bishop's seat, and will be separately noticed. Dalston Hall, now a farm-house, was a castellated seat of the Dalstons. There are cotton factories and collieries. There are also a Roman camp, a barrow, and remains of a Druidical circle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £283.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church has a curious bell-gable, and is tolerable. A sculptured stone cross is near it. Dr. Paley was vicar from 1774 till 1793. The vicarage of Ivegill is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £56.—The sub-district contains also Orton parish, and part of St. Mary. Acres, 17, 078. Pop., 3, 865. Houses, 762.

Dalston through time

Dalston is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalston, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1555

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dalston ".