Place:


Great Broughton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Broughton like this:

BROUGHTON (Great), a township and a chapelry in Bridekirk parish, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Derwent, adjacent to the Cockermouth and Workington railway at Broughton-Cross station, 3 miles W of Cockermouth. It has a post office under Carlisle. Acres, inclusive of Little Broughton, 2,743. ...


Real property, £5,773; of which £2,322 are in mines. Pop., 836. Houses, 180. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; includes Little Broughton; and was very recently constituted. Pop., 1,498. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Bridekirk. The church is new. There are chapels for Baptists, Quakers, and Wesleyans. A school and alms-houses have £30 from endowment.

Great Broughton through time

Great Broughton is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Broughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Broughton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1546

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Broughton ".