Place:


Twyford  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Twyford like this:

TWYFORD, a parish, with Poundon and Charndon hamlets, in the district and county of Buckingham; 3 miles W of Claydon r. station, and 5½ SSW of Buckingham. Post town, Buckingham. Acres, 4,110. Real property, £6,609. Pop. in 1851, 848; in 1861, 694. Houses, 166. The manors belong to A. W. Crouch, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £725.* Patron, Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Twyford through time

Twyford is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Twyford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Twyford, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1536

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Twyford ".