Place:


Stowe  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowe like this:

STOWE, a parish, with three hamlets, in the district and county of Buckingham; 2¾ miles NNW of Buckingham r. station. Post town, Buckingham. Acres, 2,950. Real property, £5,013. Pop., 352. Houses, 71. The manor, with S. House, belongs to the Duke of Buckingham. S. House is in the Grecian style, of centre and wings, with a frontage of 916 feet; had once a remarkable magnificence, as well internally as externally; suffered decadence in 1848, by the sale of its rich moveable contents, to pay off a mortgage of £1,500,000: but still is distinguished both by its own architecture and by the decorations of its grounds. ...


Boycott Manor-House, a recent erection in the Tudor style, is the seat ofHiggins, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £25. Patron, the Duke of Buckingham. The church is good.

Stowe through time

Stowe is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stowe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowe, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1529

Date accessed: 24th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stowe ".