Place:


Weaverham  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weaverham like this:

WEAVERHAM, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Northwich district, Cheshire. The village stands near the river Weaver, 1 mile E by S of Acton r. station, and 3¼ W by N of Northwich; and has a post-office‡ under Northwich, and fairs on 8 April and 8 Oct.-The township includes a small part of Whitegate parish, contains Milton hamlet, and comprises 3,528 acres. ...


Real property, £8,774. Pop., 1,530. Houses, 337.—The parish includes 5 other township; and, with the Whitegate part of W. township, comprises 7,634 acres. Pop., 2,782. Houses, 596. The property is subdivided. Four manors belong to A. H. S. Barry, Esq.; and Acton manor, with Gorstage Hall, belongs to R. Ashton, Esq. Sandway Bank is the seat of J. B. Littledale, Esq. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £340.* Patron, the Bishop ofThe church was restored in 1855. There are five Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £55 a year, a national school, and charities £60.

Weaverham through time

Weaverham is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weaverham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weaverham, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1528

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weaverham ".