Caeo  Carmarthenshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caeo like this:

CONWIL-CAYO, a parish and a sub-district in Llandovery district, Carmarthen. The parish lies on the Sarn-Helen way, and on a headstream of the river Towy, 7½ miles NW of Llandovery town and r. station; and contains the village of Cayo and the hamlets of Cwmcothy, Cwmtwrch Lower, and Maestroyddin. ...

Post town, Llandovery, under Carmarthen. Acres, 41, 785. Real property, £8, 188. Pop., 2, 251. Houses, 442. Mineral springs of several kinds occur, and are in repute. Mines yielding gold were worked here by the Romans Several tumuli are near a place called Remus' Ford; remains of an aqueduct lead to the place of the old mines; remains of the Sarn-Helen way are seen; and Roman bricks, inscriptions, torques, and coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Llansawel, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £305.* Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is ancient, large, and good. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Conwil-Cayo is sung by the poet Llywarch-Hen. -The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.

Caeo through time

Caeo is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caeo itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caeo in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th January 2020

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caeo ".